Posted: Wednesday 11th September 2019

If your Contact or Responder is unable to support you, or has a change in circumstances which means they cannot attend to you, or if they change their telephone number or address, they can advise us directly using our secure eForm. Alternatively you or they can call us on 0300 999 2 999 (option 1) and inform us this way.

If this is because they are on holiday for a period of time, we can make a note of the dates on your record.