Herts Careline has experienced huge growth over the past few years as demand for assistive technology to support people’s independence in their own home has increased. And it’s because of this exciting growth that we’re often looking to expand our team of Emergency Call Operators. We currently have a team of over 30 dedicated Emergency Call Operators who take calls for help from our customers who wear our community alarm pendants so they can summon our help 24/7. Emergency Call Operators are motivated, caring and hardworking individuals who are the first point of contact for our customers in an emergency situation.
Our Emergency Call Operators provides support for around 16,000 people across Hertfordshire and surrounding areas and take up to 1,500 calls a day - at least one third of these are life critical emergencies. When we have job vacancies they are listed on the NHDC website:
What we need from you
If you’re a compassionate individual looking to make a difference to vulnerable people, then joining our Careline team at our recently refurbished control room in Letchworth Garden City may be the opportunity you’re looking for!
Emergency Call Operators are motivated, caring and hardworking individuals who are the first point of contact for our customers in an emergency situation. To succeed as an emergency call handler, you must possess a genuine desire to help people, be empathetic to our customer’s needs, be highly proactive adaptable to change and able to work with high levels of autonomy.
Call Operator roles vary and follow a rolling shift rota pattern. Details of the hours and role will be included in the Job Description when a new job is advertised. We often have bank positions which are perfect for anyone who is able to work a variety of hours and shifts at short notice.
What Will You Be Doing?
For all positions Emergency Call Operators will be answering calls from a range of service users, contacts and professionals with various needs. You may deal with someone who is distressed with an emergency medical need; essentially saving their lives. You may provide reassurance to callers on a variety of matters. You may also handle more routine calls like testing of the equipment and updating records. Every day is different.
Your task will be to assess every call you deal with, reassuring the customer and responding accordingly, in a calm and efficient manner, following procedures and keeping notes and records updated as you go.
What kind of person are you?
- A compassionate and empathetic person who has a confident and polite telephone manner, even under pressure.
- A reliable individual with excellent organisational and problem-solving skills who can work with high levels of independence.
- Fantastic communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to think on your feet.
- Individuals who can demonstrate high levels of accuracy and attention to detail with their work.
- An individual who can handle a fast past environment, relishes a challenge and able to follow procedures.
Benefits of working for Herts Careline:
- A great sense of achievement and pride knowing that you’re helping to protect vulnerable people
- A credible role as part of North Hertfordshire District Council, one of the district’s biggest employers
- 21 days annual leave
- Pension contribution scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Staff Discount - 5% discount on the Careline service for NHDC staff with parental caring responsibilities
- Leisure centre concessions
- Recently renovated working environment close to a busy town centre of shops, food outlets and leisure facilities
- A friendly team of colleagues
- Shift patterns may suit those with family commitments
- Cycle to work scheme
- Microsoft Office 2016 Pro Staff discount
- Halfords Discount - 10% off anything in store
- Wider Wallet retail scheme -savings on day-to-day costs, including supermarket shopping, high-street stores, DIY, motoring and family finance
- Maximise leisure time scheme - with better-than-public offers on travel, theme parks, family outings and experience days.
- Encourage wellbeing scheme- free health assessments, gym membership deals and great value health insurance.
Register your interest
You can drop us a line to be informed when new job vacancies become available by completing our Contact Form.